Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Burning Calories

Did you realize (I didn't - guess I just hadn't thought about it) that you burn most of your total calories for the day while sleeping and sitting around? I guess if we think about it that makes sense. That hour at the gym that might have burned 300 - 600 calories is about 1/4 of the total calories we burn in a day. In my earlier post about The Fallacies of Fat this author made that point and it does make sense.

I tend to focus on the time I spent in my step aerobics class or body sculpt. I do realize that the 300 calories I used while working out is not the net calories burned because I would have been burning calories anyway sitting at my sewing machine for example rather than in my aerobics class.

I also think this is why people misjudge what calorie benefits that come from exercising. On another note, some food plans allow activity points or give what has to be done to make up for an ice cream cone for example. That is just playing games I think. I know I have eaten something I shouldn't and then did the math for what I would have to do to burn those calories I just ate. Do we really have enough time or stamina to make up for eating a whole pizza? Doubt it.





8 comments:

  1. I got a lot of grief for commenting on a "weight loss" blog one time when the (still very overweight, at the beginning of yet another 'journey') author had "earned" a "treat" of a McDonald's meal for herself, when I pointed out that she would need to run a half-marathon (13.1 miles) to burn off the calories in her Quarter Pounder with cheese, medium fries and Coke.

    Drives me NUTS when I see earnestly trying, well-meaning bloggers totaling up their 100-calorie snack packs and Lean Cuisines in the A column and listing how many calories their body monitor says they burned during the day and in column B and figuring out a net loss of 3.4 lbs exactly...and getting frustrated to the point of quitting when that doesn't happen.

    Exercise is not a way to 'cancel out' food or to 'earn' food. Exercise plays some role in weight loss, more of a role in maintenance, but its purpose is not weight loss or maintenance, and this is lost on so many people (and, I think this myth has gained so much belief from the popularity of The Biggest Loser). Our weight is determined 80% by what we eat, 20% by exercise.

    We all know what foods contribute to good health and weight loss. A kindergartener can tell you that broccoli is good for you and ice cream is not. We all know that exercise builds strength, flexibility, endurance, improves our immune systems, appearance, and mental health. A kindergartener can tell you that going for a walk is better for you than watching TV.

    But exercise is not the antidote to food, and anyone who thinks that the folks who are in great shape and work out frequently with purpose just eat "whatever" because they "burn it off" are so, SO off the mark! Those people eat for fuel and that's why they have the energy to do those workouts and why they get the physical results from exercise.

    Wow, it's like I wrote one of my blog posts as a comment... ;) Sorry, Myra.

    *steps off soapbox*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The obese have become experts in playing games and fooling themselves. I do think it is important to tell them the truth whether it's a "feel good" experience or not. If I want the No. 1 combo at McDonald's then I just need to face that I am making that choice and choosing to make more work for myself. It's the fog many obese walk around in that keeps them from seeing clearly and accepting what must be done and doing it. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. It was a harsh realization for me that exercise isn't all that great for caloric burn. I use exercise for health and toning reasons now, not an excuse to eat more calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough lesson for me when I learned about the net calorie burn through exercise. I had never thought about that I would have been burning calories anyway so every time my aerobics instructor says we are burning about 350 calories I think, "yeah, right". When we finally realize that the easy way out is eating right and exercising and no gimmicks and fads we make great strides toward success. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Myra: We have all heard it a thousand times. It's all about lifestyle change. Then, there is no need to diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes longer to sink in for some than for others. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Exercise is an endorphin that makes me feel good. Food fuels me so I can run. I don't exercise so I can eat what ever I want. I eat so I can exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect. Once we get to that point where food doesn't have all these emotions attached to it we have won. We just have to remember how quickly we could lose our grip and never get too confident. Pride goeth before the fall as scripture tells us. Well done.

      Delete